A Year in Review: Final Broadcast for Raider News (23-24)
Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, Olivia Abbott, Ella Cottman, Simona Juknyte, Lili Olson, and Amelia BuhleApril 22, 2024

The Forbearing Novel of Jane Eyre

“Jane Eyre” was published on October 19, 1847. Source: Simon and Schuster

Jane Eyre’s life has never been simple or even close to content. Her parents passed away when she was at an early age, and her uncle adopted her but also passed away after a couple years. She suffered extensive mental and physical abuse from her aunt and cousins until she forced herself into a boarding school. Entering the boarding school, she had her doubts, but her time at the school turned out to be nothing like how she imagined.

Jane was an exceptional student, eager and ready to learn, putting her in the forefront of her classes. Seeing as her uncle essentially abandoned her at the school, she stayed there for nearly ten years and became a teacher after she graduated. This, however, did not satisfy her. She had been sheltered for almost all of her life, and aimed to get out and find work somewhere other than in the confines of the schoolhouse. Pursuing this hope, she left the schoolhouse to be a governess, or tutor, for a young girl. The captivating Mr. Rochester, who owns Jane’s new residence, a beautiful manor just off of the local town, is sure to surprise her.,From there, a tainted romance unfurls between the two. 

“Jane Eyre” was a tumultuous romance, but it was also a lesson of morals and religious obligation. Nowadays, many people maneuver in and out of romantic relationships without a second thought. In “Jane Eyre,” however, many moral ideologies, such as the Christian perspective, are taken into account. Although Jane and Mr. Rochester are enamored with each other, Jane considers their class difference and how Mr. Rochester’s previous marriage would affect their lives, which is something most people wouldn’t have to consider now. The only thing that matters is that they love each other, right? Wrong. Jane Eyre teaches readers that love is not the all-powerful force that determines a relationship. It may be a large factor in it, but it cannot be the sole determinant of one. Class differences and previous history have a larger stake in the matter than the movies convey. It is not always of black and white simplicity. Relationships are a beautiful aspect of life that people cherish, but they do not always work ideally, sometimes hurting both sides in the process. 

The novel itself is beautifully crafted around Jane’s life and her experiences with Mr. Rochester, although many people find the ending to be rushed or even unrealistic. Despite this, Jane Eyre is still a classic. The language and descriptions of Jane’s life truly enchant the audience every time with its beauty and sophistication, which is rarely seen in this day and age. Whether the reader enjoys the ending or not, they will always enjoy the journey.