“The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store”: American Progress
Abby Edwards, Scoop Writer • May 3, 2024

In “The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store” by James McBride, It is no secret that Chicken Hill is a place of struggle, and in 1930, Jews and African Americans had to depend...

Autumnal Movies to Get You in the Fall Mood

These autumnal films are perfect for movie night! Illustrator: Mikey Alam

Cooler weather, falling leaves, scents of cinnamon pervading the air: these are signs of autumn approaching. It signifies the time to bring out the vanilla-scented candles, sleep under thick wool blankets and, most importantly, discover and return to both new and old favorite movies. In case you are looking for new recommendations, here are some atmospheric and nostalgic films to keep your autumn mood high. 

When Harry Met Sally 

At its core, When Harry Met Sally weaves a tale of love, friendship and the profound connections that can shape one’s life. Set in New York City, the central characters navigate the complexities of love through witty exchanges and unforgettable conversations. The scenes that showcase a romanticized Central Park, awash in orange and red leaves, people in warm wool sweaters and a quaint bookstore, are all unmistakable elements of the quintessential autumn movie.

Harry Potter 

Some of the best movies are ones that let you escape reality and venture into a world of imagination and nostalgia. The Harry Potter films, childhood staples for many, are full of dark, atmospheric and gloomy moments perfect for the melancholic charm of autumn. The series’ intricate world-building and childlike wonder also resonate well with the season’s ambiance. The movies remind us of the power of friendship and courage, making them an ideal companion to autumn’s nostalgic feel.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Shifting away from the typical autumnal ambiance, this groundbreaking stop-motion animation is naturally part of the quintessential Halloween experience. Burton’s visionary film fuses twisted humor, eccentric characters and dark holiday music to bring to life a world of misadventures and magic. Its charming appeal rests in the movie’s ability to transport the audience into a world of blurred boundaries between holiday joy and sinister mystery, making it a great watch on any dark October night.

Dead Poets Society

This timeless masterpiece, set against the background of a New England fall vividly captures themes of individuality, passion and coming of age. It follows the tale of an unconventional English teacher who ignites an appreciation for poetry and expression in some of his students. The graceful scenery beautifully compliments the introspective journey of change in the characters, resulting in a poignant and moving narrative. To quote Mr. Keating, “Poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”

Little Women

Greta Gerwig’s brilliantly narrated coming-of-age movie reinvents the beauty of Louisa May Alcott’s original tale. Chronicling the lives of four sisters amidst the backdrop of the American Civil War, this movie simultaneously explores themes of sisterhood, personal growth and female autonomy. Its picturesque Massachusetts setting with images of enchanting rolling hills and auburn trees makes it an ideal choice for the fall season.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is a timeless animation of friendship and faith that naturally evokes the nostalgia of childhood memories. Set during the heart of autumn, the film paints a vivid image through scenes of pumpkin patches, colorful leaves, and a warm atmosphere. Through the well-loved Peanuts gang and their endearing antics, it instills hope that continues to resonate across generations. 

With the dawn of autumn creeping in, immersing yourself in one of these movies not only adds to the atmospheric season, but is also a way to romanticize and create long lasting memories throughout autumn!

View Comments (1)