Governor J.B. Pritzker signs Illinois assault weapons ban

Sana Muneer, Editor in Chief

On Tuesday, January 10, Illinois Governor JB Pritzker signed a bill to immediately ban assault weapons in the state. This legislation will stop the spread of assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and switches. 

This historic event occurred just mere months after Illinois’s deadly July 4 massacre in Highland Park, which left seven dead and 36 injured. 

Pritzker recalled this tragic shooting before signing the bill expressing, “We have done this for Highland Park’s Kevin and Irina McCarthy, Jacquelyn Sundheim, Katherine Goldstein, Eduardo Uvaldo, Nicolas Toledo-Zaragoza, and Stephen Straus. For Benito Juarez High School’s Brandon Perez and Nathan Villegas, just 15 and 14.”

The bill, originally titled HB5855 by Rep. Bob Morgan from Highland Park, is referred to as the ‘Protect Illinois Communities Act’, and sustained many changes while in the House and the Senate. 

Currently, the ‘Protect Illinois Communities Act’ bans the delivery, sale, or purchase of any assault weapon in Illinois. It also calls for the Illinois State Police to add guns to the list of banned assault weapons over time. 

“This will save lives,” Pritzker said, after signing the bill into law.

Illinois residents already owning the banned weapons will be allowed to keep them, but must register them with the Illinois State Police by Jan. 1.

“No Illinoisan, no matter their zip code, should have to go through life fearing their loved one could be the next in an ever-growing list of victims of mass shootings. However, for too long people have lived in fear of being gunned down in schools, while worshiping, at celebrations, or in their own front yards. This legislation will… (and) make our state a safer place for all.” Pritzker said in a statement. 

He concluded, “We got this done for all the victims, children, parents, friends, and loved ones who are no longer with us. And for those who have survived mass shootings, but were injured. Today we honor them, their trauma, and their loss by preventing others from becoming victims.”

Other quotes: 

• “After nearly every mass shooting, we’ve seen efforts to ban dangerous weapons thwarted – and then leaders send their thoughts and prayers, while they throw their hands up – resigning themselves to the idea that gun violence is a sacrifice that Americans must accept,” Pritzker said. “But it doesn’t have to be that way.”

• No Illinoisan, no matter their zip code, should have to go through life fearing their loved one could be the next in an ever-growing list of victims of mass shootings. However, for too long people have lived in fear of being gunned down in schools, while worshiping, at celebrations or in their own front yards. This legislation will stop the spread of assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and switches and make our state a safer place for all.”