Theatre Fest

Theatre+Fest

Maggie Falkenberg, School News Writer

Are you living, or just existing, or so the 2023 Illinois High School Theatre Fest asked its attendees. Meant to inspire the challenge of stepping out of one’s comfort zone, this catchy theme was the center of the three day event hosted by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. 

Each year, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign hosts the much anticipated festival, focusing on different aspects found among theatre communities in schools. 2023 celebrated the 47th festival, bringing 3,745 students from 166 high schools scattered across the state. Senior theatre enthusiast and festival attendee Hans Herrea claimed getting to know other students from other schools was his favorite part of the entire experience. 

Other highlights of the festival included performances of the 2023 All-State show, Shrek: The Musical. The show featured the work of Glenbard South’s very own students: Matthew Kohl, Kaitlyn Urbanowicz, and Lizzie Steele. Their contributions to the show included preparing the set, costumes, and props, to performing the score with the pit during live shows. This is the first time Glenbard South has had students participate in the All-State show, making this year’s Theatre Fest historic for South. 

Students attending were also able to attend a multitude of workshops, each focusing on different aspects of theatre. Possible selections consisted of Ballroom Dance, Improv, Stage Props 101, Musical Theatre Dance, Performing Shakespeare, Careers in Costumes, and many many more. Also available to view were performances brought by other schools, creating an interesting look into programs from across the state.