Jaheim McMillan

Annika Norquist, In-Depth Writer

Jaheim McMillan, a fifteen-year-old freshman at Gulfport High School in Mississippi, suffered a gunshot wound to the head by an unknown police officer on October 6, 2022. He was pronounced dead on Saturday, October 8th, two days after the incident took place. 

On the afternoon of October 6, Law enforcement officers responded to a call reporting that a group of teens was “brandishing firearms at other motorists”. Upon arriving on the scene, officers observed two of the suspects fleeing the vehicle, and reported that McMillan responded by pointing his weapon directly at an officer, who then opened fire and fatally shot McMillan in the head. However, witnesses on the scene have claimed that McMillan was not armed, and that he was trying to escape the police by running away. Witnesses observed that McMillan had his hands above his head when he was shot. 

Aspects of both reports have yet to be confirmed with video surveillance as police have not publicly released any footage of the shooting, an action that could speak volumes of the reality of the encounter. 

As of October 11th, the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations has acquired the responsibility of conducting the investigation. No bodycam footage has been released, despite public pleas. It is imperative to note that the Mississippi Bureau of Investigations (or MBI) has a record of refusing to release bodycam footage, along with other information specifically related to encounters with police officers involving the active usage of firearms. 

Jaheim McMillan is survived by his mother, Katreena Mateen.

According to the Mississippi Free Press, Mississippi Black Lives Matter Co-Founder, Reginald Virgil stated that there are ten different accounts of what actually occurred in the altercation involving the death of McMillan on October 6. Furthermore, residents of Gulfport Mississippi have taken action, calling for the release of the bodycam footage by the Gulfport Police Department. McMillan’s death has reignited calls for police reform, specifically addressing the systemic injustice ingrained in America’s Police Departments.