October Awareness

Glenbard South students assembled at themed football games to exhibit their school pride.

Itzel Cruz-Davalos, Sports Writer

The month of October is when Chicagoans notice the drop in temperature, the falling of orange leaves all over the streets, along with the slow approach of Halloween. Some desperately want to go back into the warm summer months again while others are pleased with the fall aesthetic of sweaters, chilly weather, pumpkin carving, and haunted houses. Even though October tends to be an exciting month filled with a variety of different activities, it is also a month dedicated to raising awareness of breast cancer, bullying, OCD, and many other things.

Mental health education and depression awareness are also very significant topics included during this month of October. In the United States alone, it is estimated that one in five Americans suffer from some type of mental illness, in which only 20% of those individuals seek out help. The fact that 34% of athletes suffer from depression and anxiety tends to surprise many. Most of the time, these individuals will not show many signs to their friends, family, or even fan base.

Retired Olympian swimmer, Michael Phelps, has used his experience with depression to help other athletes throughout their journey. Similarly, retired NFL player, Ricky Williams, and professional tennis player, Serena Williams, are also examples of individuals who have used their fame to their advantage. They have spoken publicly about their experience playing a professional sport while at the same time fighting a mental illness. These athletes claimed to feel lonely and overwhelmed with their own negative thoughts that they decided to isolate themselves from family and friends. It was not until they sought help that they were able to take a break and balance their mental health and profession.

As Glenbard South student athletes finish off their fall seasons and move into their winter ones, it is important for the community to offer constant support. Raiders are aware of support inside the school building, but it is important for everyone to be there for each other. Stereotypes generally push male athletes to avoid expressing their feelings which, in most cases, worsens an individual’s mental health. It is always important to remember that people are constantly fighting their own internal battles, and it is completely okay to seek support from a friend, parent or school staff member.