Pros and Cons of Gender Segregated Schools

Wardah Fazil, Opinions Writer

Even though gender-segregated schools might not be common, they are still there. Many people prefer to place their kids in co-Ed schools, but many still prefer gender segregation. It was more common in the earlier years, but not so much anymore. 

But why would parents prefer gender segregated schools in today’s day anyway? Some might believe that it increases chances of academic excellence and some might do it because they have a preference but is there evidence to prove that?

Why would parents still be interested in sending their kids to gender-segregated schools? Many parents still enroll their kids in gender-segregated schools because they believe that it creates a higher chance for academic excellence when the two genders are separated. The website, aclu.org stated , “in other words, there is no clear evidence that students are more likely to succeed in single-sex schools” to prove that gender segregated schools don’t make a difference in a child’s academic outcome. 

Some people tend to believe that because boys and girls have different intellectual abilities it’s better if they study in different environments, but there is so solid evidence or research to prove that true.

There is one factor that persuades parents to register their kids for gender segregated schools and that is the change in their mindset. Studies show that girls feel more motivated while going to an all girls school because they don’t have to try so hard to prove themselves.

Heidi Borst from Usnews.com stated, “girls can also be very supportive in a single-gender setting,” to show that not having to prove anything to boys or being brought down motivates girls to build a more positive and supportive environment . Furthermore, usnews.com quotes, “single-gender learning environment benefits girls by increasing confidence which, in turn, builds leadership capabilities.”

In gender segregated schools, girls get more of an opportunity to challenge themselves and try out new things. 

Similarly, for boys, gender segregated schools help with their behavioral problems. Matt Albert, executive director of the Center for Reflective Communities in Los Angeles, states in the Usnews.com that it can increase the positive mindset of boys because they are, “more willing to take risks because they don’t feel the fear of failing in front of the other sex.” Not being compared to girls can bring up confidence in boys and encourage them to be better. 

Despite those beneficial factors, separating boys and girls can create a lack of social skills on both sides. In the real world, boys and girls have to interact with each other whether it be a relationship or a workplace. The lack of time spent with the opposite gender in a child’s prime years can really affect their ability to communicate in practical life. 

Ms. Purdy, an AP Psychology teacher at GBS, believes that having gender segregated schools could affect a child’s socialization skills. She feels that it will make it harder for kids to interact with the opposite gender creating an un unified environment. 

Wyatt Bremer, a freshman involved in soccer and football at GBS, believes that gender segregation can cause a lack of connection between men and women. Especially going into the real world, a communication barrier between the both can cause many issues.

Overall, gender segregated schools have their pros and cons. Some people still believe that it’s the best way to achieve academic excellence, while others contradict that it can cause a lack of important socialization skills. Comparing both sides, would you ever enroll your child in a gender segregated school?

SOURCES:

https://www.niche.com/blog/pros-and-cons-of-single-sex-education/

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/articles/the-pros-and-cons-of-single-gender-schools

https://www.aclu.org/other/sex-segregated-schools-just-facts-0