Turning over a new page: Yearbook club at Glenbard South

Claire Rogers, School News Writer

Ever wonder what goes into making your yearbook such a keepsake from your highschool years? Hours of work go into the design, the theme, the  pictures, and the layout, not to mention making it all flow together. 

But for those in Yearbook club it is all worth it. Co-Editor In Chief of Yearbook Club Jessica Nakayama shared that completing pages of the yearbook makes her feel accomplished, especially knowing that her classmates will look back on their years at Glenbard South fondly. 

To begin their meetings Yearbook staff are split up into groups that focus on a few main subjects:people, events, clubs, academics and sports. After setting goals for the day, members are left to work their magic, creating collages, catchphrases and a montage of memories. So what  is a yearbook? 

In the words of Yearbook Organizations Managing Editor Luis Irizarry, it is “a collection of memories that are saved, and it’s something you can remember.” It captures “the raw and real nature of the student life at Glenbard South,” Student Life Managing Editor Rachel Torres added.

“Yearbook club also has a strong sense of community. Torres notes that “everyone on the team is so bright and is filled with great ideas.” 

Luis Irizarry recalls, “I went to the first meeting, and I immediately knew I would do this for as long as [the club continues].”

When asked what makes a yearbook memorable, each staff member had a different opinion. Nakayama, Co-Editor in Chief, believes that “a yearbook is memorable when it is filled with pictures and moments that spark memories.” Yearbook Organizations Managing Editor Luis claims that the most memorable thing is how everyone has a part in the yearbook. 

Overall, the yearbook committee strives to capture the essence of Glenbard South and its students in a given year. “Creating the yearbook every year,” says Rachel Torres, “helps shed light to our school.” 

If Yearbook sounds like something you would enjoy, drop in on a Wednesday after school and check out the Yearbook club! Yearbook meets every Wednesday in the PLC PDC lab in the library from 2:40-3:30. Contact Mrs. Candace Vickers at  [email protected] with any questions.