Exclusive interview with Dean White

Q&A session with new dean

Hadiya Afzal, Nation Writer

Q: What college did you attend, and what degree(s) did you receive there?

A: For my undergrad, I attended Illinois State University where I got two degrees, one in social science education and another in economics, and then I went to Louis University to get my master’s degree in educational leadership, which is why I am able to be an administrator.

Q: What inspired you to go into education?

A: My high school math teacher told me that it would be a good idea for me to go into education because I had a knack for it. I kind of blew it off then, but when the time came around senior year to filling out job applications, I found myself filling in “secondary math education.” Also, while I was down at Illinois State University, I was an academic advisor so I saw a lot of students failing out of the university. It broke my heart to see students who had worked so hard in high school and were looking forward to a good future to just fail out. Before then, I was in my “I-want-to-be-a-millionaire” stage, and I didn’t think education was going to get me there, so I dismissed it, but seeing these struggling students made me want to help them get the experience they needed before college in high school, so that they could succeed further on in life.

Q: What job did you have before coming to South?

A: I worked at two schools prior to coming to Glenbard South. I started off at Ridge South High School where I taught AP Economics and then left after two years for Bloom Township High School where I was hired to actually start their AP Economics program. I also subbed in the dean’s office there, which is why I am here now.

Q: What is your role here at South?

A: I serve in two capacities here at South. First and foremost, I am the new Dean of Students, so the bulk of my day is meeting with students, dealing with truancies, tardies, some minor disciplinary issues and then during first period I have Wingspread, which is like a smaller study hall, and it is for kids who need more structure than in a large study hall with a hundred kids. They get more one-on-one attention, and there is another individual with me, the new counseling intern, who helps me cover the different subjects with kids, like math, English and so on and so forth.

Q: What are some of your goals as (Dean) at South?

A: I know one of the most troubling issues we have right now are tardies, so what I would like to do, and I don’t know how realistic this is, is to take the student’s who are habitually late, “frequent fliers,” as we call them, and kind of meet with them, walk with them, see how they have trouble getting to class. Is it because they are talking to their friends until the warning bell and then sprinting to class, or are they going back to their lockers between every period to change books and if there is a way to work out the logistics of it all to help them to get to class on time. Another thing I would like to do is to really make this school a safe environment, to alleviate any bullying or so on because everyone has the right to feel safe and to receive a good education. I do not see bullying as a big problem here, but for me, even one kid being bullied is too much.

Q: You sang at the beginning of the first pep rally this school year, correct?

A: (laughs) Yes, I did

Q: Do you have a background in music? Any previous experience singing, writing?

A: I actually have an extensive background in the general music industry, which started in high school when I was in a music group. I sing, obviously, I write music, produce music and I’m a certified sound engineer, so I do a lot of recording and producing of different artists.