Superintendent’s Message on Shift to Hybrid Learning

Sana Muneer, Lenses Editor

On September 16, Superintendent David Larson sent out a message regarding the different criteria needed to start the shift into hybrid learning for students. Each day, District 87 assesses the state of Covid-19 occurring in DuPage County to see if students can go back to school. The four key principles dictating the commencement of a hybrid setting are health data, staffing, and safety protocols and equipment. 

Health data has been the biggest deal-breaker of whether hybrid learning can even be considered to occur. On September 11, DuPage County was put into a ‘warning’ category from the IDPH (Illinois Department of Public Health) due to the growing number of Covid-19 cases and deaths. Our area has 89 cases per 100,000 people. It has trended down to in the ‘caution’ state as of right now, 50 cases per 100,00 people, but it has remained more important than ever to wear masks, social distance, and take all necessary precautions. 

With staffing the building and providing teachers and security, District 87 has forecasted a plan to put in place for the necessary staff numbers. In a hybrid setting, the school day will go from 7:30 am to 12:25 PM. Students will not eat lunch in the building rather they will spend their lunch period in selected rooms. 

Quarantine restrictions consist of following the DuPage County Health Department’s guidelines. Contact tracing will take place and also abiding by the safety protocols of contracting Covid-19 and quarantine for at least 14 days. 

To enforce safety protocols and equipment, a building capacity plan was completed and put in place. Some of the regulations have been directional and cautionary signs on the floors and around the building, air quality being tested and contact tracing procedures being instilled. PPE such as N-95 fitted masks, hand-sanitizer, Plexiglass desk barriers, and gloves have been distributed to classrooms and critical staff members. 

Glenbard schools have kept these four factors in mind while considering the debate of whether or not to go into a hybrid setting. Currently, three out of the four criteria are at the right level. Superintendent Larson concludes by saying how he is confident that the hybrid model will launch soon with our combined efforts of staying safe.