How to de-stress over break

Huda Saber, Bottom line writer

Final exam season is by far the most stressful time of the year for students. From the countless hours studying whilst keeping up with extracurriculars, the new material taught by teachers in an effort to wrap up the semester course outline, on top of the sleep deprivation, can lead students in a frenzy. After being pulled in so many directions at school, it can be hard to adjust to having so much free time. What are some ways students can de-stress over the two weeks after finals? How can students prepare themselves during their break in order to rejuvenate themselves for the second semester?

A great way to relieve stress from school over break is spending time with family and close friends. According to Advanced Health, spending time with others and having thoughtful and deep conversations can decrease stress levels. Another study from 1906 by Henry Dale demonstrated that spending time with a parent reduces a key stress hormone and also injects oxytocin into the brain, a chemical that makes one feel good. These studies show that spending time with people that one loves can help someone feel happy and provide mental relief. One can spend time with family and friends by visiting the theater to catch a movie, grab a bite at a restaurant or partake in traditional holiday activities. 

In addition to spending time with family and friends, one can take part in hobbies or pastimes that have been ignored throughout the semester because of school work. One’s interests may be creative, athletic, academic or something distinctly personal. One may choose a hobby that can be done alone or as part of a group. Whatever one’s interests are, there is sure to be a hobby out there for them. What matters is that it is something they find meaningful and enjoyable. According to Head to Health, research shows that people with hobbies are less likely to suffer from stress, low mood and depression. Therefore, spending time on an activity that is enjoyable can improve mental health and well-being. 

Another way to relieve stress during winter break is by keeping the body engaged in physical activity. Exercise releases endorphins, which means a much calmer person. It is easy to ignore physical activity during this time of year, but exercising daily will help soothe any tension that may occur. Even if the sun is not present, exercise can control any stress.

All in all, it is important for students to relieve their stress during winter break in order to be rejuvenated for the following semester. There are many ways to let go of this stress such as spending time with family, participating in pastimes as well as keeping the body physically active.