Diversity in philosophy

Abigail Treado, Writer

Last winter, Glenbard South welcomed the Philosophy Club to its diverse mix of unique student organizations. Senior Sean Gitchell founded the Philosophy Club as a way for students to discuss and share their opinions about controversial philosophical topics, including subjects regarding afterlife and equality.

Philosophy has been paramount for Gitchell.  “It helped me move forward with who I was and who I was becoming,” he said. “I really wanted to share it with the rest of the school because high school is the opportunity to really discover who you are. I think philosophy is one of the best ways to do that.”

Students meet every other Wednesday, typically in room 203 or room 11, to discuss a pre-selected topic. There are two faculty sponsors of the club, Mr. Bob Blecher and Mr. Patrick Gan. Mr. Blecher describes the meetings quite simply: “During the meeting, people can really say whatever they think about what subject is at hand.”

According to Mr. Blecher, the diversity of the club’s members is a vital aspect to the club. “I see students who I’ve had in class that were very vocal, and I see students who I’ve had in class who were very quiet, and I see students bring their friends who I never knew before, and I think it’s incredibly diverse.”

Philosophy club is a place for everyone, from the most vocal of students to those who simply want to listen to an intelligent philosophical discussion.

Notably, the discussions are based on keeping an open mind and accepting others’ beliefs. According to Gitchell, “With philosophy, you want to keep an open mind and consider other perspectives. Philosophy is really a mentally strong activity, where you have to be willing to tolerate other people’s opinions and actually think about them, and not just dismiss them.” Blecher added, “It’s a very friendly and open atmosphere where people don’t judge each other.”

Philosophy Club also helps students build discussion skills, make friendships and experience new perspectives. The club’s next meeting of the 2016-17 school year will be after school on Wednesday, September 21st. All are welcomed and encouraged to attend.