Guide to properly preparing for AP exams

Rachel Woods, Writer

Preparing for Advanced Placement exams is not an easy task.  These tests determine whether or not students earn college credit for the courses they complete in high school.  Naturally, there is a lot of pressure on high schoolers to do well on these exams, so preparing for the exams is crucial.

First of all, preparing for AP exams typically requires the same precautions as any other standardized test.  This means hydrating days before the test so that the mind is clear, and the body is energized.  Eating nutritious food consistently the week before the exam is also really important in order to keep the body healthy and ready to take on the taxing stress of AP testing, which stretches out across two weeks.  Furthermore, getting at least eight hours of sleep the night prior to the exam is vital in order to allow the mind and body to become fully energized.  

In addition to mind and body preparations, there are a variety of other steps that must be taken to prepare AP test takers.  At least two #2 pencils must be obtained as well as an eraser and a black or blue ballpoint pen.  In addition, the test taker must have his AP number ID with him at all times during the test, and he should bring a bottle of water to hydrate during the test.  He should also bring a healthy snack, which can be eaten only during breaks or outside of the testing facility.  

Many students have expressed the benefits of such preparations.  “AP exams are a real breeze if you prepare yourself.  Really all you have to do is get a lot of sleep, eat the right foods and bring the right materials with you on the day of your test,” advised senior Julia Rausch.

Finally, apart from these precautions, all a test taker can do is review his/her material from the class and study.  Helpful resources when reviewing material include class notes, Schoology, Khan Academy (on YouTube), classmates and even teachers.  One can also form study groups and seek the help from teachers.

AP testing is a grueling process, but with these steps, AP test takers will be ahead of the curve.  Hydrate, get some rest and review the material.  Prepare your mind and body and make sure that you have studied your course notes.