Creating freshmen links

Hadiya Afzal

Sabine Kempfe, Nation Editor

Responsibilities and commitment seem to come out of nowhere. When the new Raiders come in every year as freshmen, it is hard for them. Classes become more challenging, the school gets bigger, and it is very easy to get lost in the sea of homework that seems to pile up every night. Worst of all, freshmen are put into an unknown environment, unsure where the room numbers are or how long it would take to walk to their next class.

That is where Link Crew comes in.

Link Crew, which meets the first Thursday of every month in Room 308, has been designed to help incoming freshmen find their place in the Raider community and create a positive atmosphere so students can feel more at home. The crew is entirely made up of current juniors and seniors who apply a year in advance, along with co-coordinators Jennifer Pacheco and Cynthia Demos.

These students, or “Link Leaders,” are selected and paired up into groups of two. Freshman orientation is the biggest event in the program. Link Leaders go through eight hours of training during the summer to prepare for the four hour student-led event. When Freshman Orientation rolls around, the pairs of upperclassmen are assigned a small crew of freshmen, and they teach them all about being a Raider, show them around the school, and help them with their questions and concerns. Link Leaders also help out with events such as a movie on the football field, bubble soccer and cookies and cramming for exams.

Why should students get involved in Link Crew? “Link Crew is a great opportunity for students to learn leadership skills while making a positive impact on Glenbard South,” said Ms. Pacheco, Link Crew coordinator. “It’s great to see students positively help, mentor and guide freshman students. It’s also great to see Link Leaders grow themselves.”

If you are a sophomore or junior interested in becoming a Link Leader in the coming school year, informational meetings and applications will be available in March 2016. Most of all, remember that freshmen struggle, and it is important to help them in times of need.