A new age of learning

Looking into Schoolgy, Edmodo

Declan Loftus, Cutting Edge Writer

A couple of years ago, Glenbard District #87 began to implement an e-learning website called Edmodo in order to usher in the new information age to the Glenbard schools.

Edmodo was intended to function as a school-friendly social network, and it closely resembled Facebook in many ways. Unfortunately, Edmodo did not have success in Glenbard District 87. Many teachers did not make use of the website and that also showed within the student body. This was because there was no formal instruction on how to use the website.

Fortunately for students and staff, the district found a new way to bring e-learning into the schools– Schoology.

To say the least, Schoology has been a huge success in Glenbard District 87. First of all, students can access many necessary materials such as syllabi and worksheets if they happened to misplace their paper copies. Also, students can post on a certain class’ feed to do things such as ask questions to teachers as well as fellow classmates. From a student’s perspective, Schoology makes learning a much more convenient and less stressful process.

Secondly, Schoology can turn an average teacher into a happy human because it is convenient and user-friendly. Teachers can post course updates as well as due dates. They also have the ability to upload documents, PDF files and pictures to share with their students. From a teacher’s perspective, all excuses that students make are now invalid because the teacher can ask why the students did not look on Schoology.

Finally, the main reason why Schoology has been a success in District #87 has been because more people have been educated about it. Before Schoology was officially rolled out for the first time, Glenbard took it upon itself to have the staff and students get acquainted with the website and what it provided. This occurred through many informational sessions through the Glenbard Tech Department.

Now that nearly everyone knows how to use the website, Glenbard District #87 can safely say that the introduction of e-learning has been successful so far. Students have been making use of what has been provided to them, and the same can be said for many teachers across all four schools.