Dress code: established, enforced

Senior+Kate+Dixons+I.D.+proves+she+is+in+violation+of+the+dress+code.+

Lauren Eber

Senior Kate Dixon’s I.D. proves she is in violation of the dress code.

Lexi Skordilis and Michael Thompson

Every year as school begins, there are issues with the implementation of the dress code. Whether it is faculty making students change or students rebelling against the Administration, dress code issues are inevitable. This is not okay.

This year in particular, though, student hostility towards the dress code is more severe. Students are instructed to wear shorts no more than three inches above the knee, or the length of a school ID, which is also the suggested width for tank tops. The Administration assures that there have been no changes in the dress code from previous years; rather, this year’s “definition” of three inches is only meant to clarify what the Administration has felt is appropriate for students. However, it is clear that teachers are warning more students this year in terms of the “acceptable” length of shorts for school. While the code may remain the same on paper, its enforcement appears to have been encouraged. While most students surrender to complaining on social media, others write petitions.

The Administration reports that many parents are very supportive of the dress code; however, there are many parents who are not supportive because this enforcement may require students to leave class. The dress code states, “Dress or appearance which presents a health or safety hazard. . . will not be allowed.” However, students have noticed that not everyone is treated equally in terms of dress code. Students report that in some cases being well liked may even lessen their chances of being pulled aside. This is completely unacceptable.

A school dress code is necessary at all high schools. However, the enforcement of the dress code at Glenbard South has been extremely inconsistent. The Administration assures that they are more than happy to discuss the issue; therefore, students should accept the invitation and express their concern to the Administration directly, rather than online or via petition. Open communication is the one thing that could result in actual change in what some consider to be a drastic act of discipline.