COVID-19 On-Campus Guidelines

Zainab Talha, Bottom Line Editor

The COVID-19 virus has affected lives all around the world. Different or alike, everyone’s way of living has changed in regards to something. As the 2020-2021 school year begins, hybrid students need to be aware of the guidelines at Glenbard South which will play a large role in the safety of staff, students, and the community itself.

The Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19 is a disease which was first identified in Wuhan, China but rapidly spread throughout the globe to create a worldwide pandemic. The CDC states, “The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.” It is more likely for these droplets to land on a person’s nose and/or mouth or for these droplets to be inhaled if two people are within six feet of each other. Symptoms can appear 2-14 days after a person is exposed to the virus, with a wide range of them including shortness of breath, fever, cough, and fatigue. People at a higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 include older people and those with an underlying medical condition.

Hybrid students attending on campus will need to follow certain rules and regulations in order to ensure the safety of everyone. The highlights of these rules are listed below:

• All students inside the building or on a bus must wear a mask covering the mouth, face, and nose at all times. Students are not required to wear a mask outside with the condition that they are six feet apart. Masks aid in slowing the virus and also provide a protective barrier for asymptomatic carriers of COVID.
  • Students should make an effort to remain six feet apart at all times whenever possible.
  • Students must sit in their assigned seating, whether in a classroom or on a bus.
  • Any student riding the bus must certify that he/she does not have a temperature of greater than 100.4℉ and does not exhibit any symptoms.
  • If a student displays signs of COVID-19 or is exposed to someone with the virus, he/she should take steps to self-quarantine.

To aid in remaining socially distanced, lockers will not be in use, and water fountains and water bottle filling stations will be disabled. In addition to this, staff, students, and visitors will be screened every morning for their temperatures and symptoms. In large spaces including the gym, cafeteria, and buses, no more than 50 people are allowed at one time. If a student forgets a mask, the school will provide a disposable one for the day. Hand sanitizing stations will also be distributed throughout the entire school.

It is essential that the guidelines stated are met by all students and staff. In times like these, it is critical that everyone works together for the well-being and protection of each and every individual.