Technology in Climate Change

Sarah Vangjeli, Cutting Edge Writer

On September 20th, a climate strike took place around the world attracting mostly teens to participate. This strike had the motive of major climate change. Major climate change has been occurring for the past 40 years, but now we have a climate crisis. Technology has also been around for a while, but has it contributed to climate change positively or negatively? 

Since the industrialization of technology in the 1800s, people started using coal, a common fossil fuel. Coal has been used to generate electricity. Fossil fuels have been one of the biggest reasons why the Earth is overheating by trapping heat in the ozone layer. Although this revolution has provided us with ways to travel, it has a very negative effect on Earth such as damaging the atmosphere and killing plants and animals.

Despite the negatives, the positives of technology have helped the Earth or advance the way of living. Satellite energy was a big development, but this positivity comes at a cost. Solar panels range in prices depending on how large a panel is bought. 165-watts can be about $462. Renewable energy usually varies $0.15 per kilowatt hour. Another positive quality of technology has been the creation of electric cars. Electric cars, specifically Teslas, have been invented to run on battery, but the average pricing is about $80,000. An average car is $20,000 to $30,000. Although the cost of these items, there are alternatives.

Everyone in the world has the potential to stop climate change, but everyone needs to realize the causes of this change. Students should be educated in school and everyone should participate in their country some type of way to fight to save the climate. The climate strike was a big way to show effort in changing the world. People could use technology to change the world in a positive way.