Girls Gymnastics 2018-2019 Season Preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jonathan Shlaefke, Sports Writer

On Wednesday, December 5, the girls gymnastics team will go to Oswego for its first meet of the year. After Addison Trail could not attend the meet on the 25th of November, the Raiders will begin their season on the road. With a senior heavy team, varsity head coach Lee Wood and the Raiders will look to build upon last year’s success and make a name for themselves in the Upstate Eight Conference.

To begin, the Upstate Eight will present high levels of competition that often has large high schools. However, this will not change how senior captain Skylar Moloney and her team approach the season. “Our team is working hard to improve on our skills and learn more tricks. Our number one goal is to have fun and we will do that no matter how tough the competition is.”

Moloney knows it will be a challenging season, but much like during her favorite event, the balance beam, Moloney will enjoy the struggle.  “My favorite event is the balance beam because while it is difficult and frustrating at times, there is nothing better than sticking a routine that you worked so hard on.”

Coach Lee Wood has returned with the girls gymnastics team this winter, and has had a strong bind and influence with the team since his arrival to the program. Moloney shared, “Coach Lee has been an amazing coach who not only wants the team to get better, but for everyone to enjoy the sport and their time in the gymnastics balcony!”

The coaches on all levels have done an incredible job developing and improving the gymnasts’ abilities, but sometimes it takes more than skill to turn in a great performance. According to junior Katie Weiss, “They(Glenbard South gymnastics coaches) are really understanding with all of the fear and anxiety that comes along with the sport… they know how help you overcome your fear.”

With Skylar Moloney, Mackenzie Goetz, Katie Kibbey, Julia Scalf, Bianca Lupa, Tanya Roulette and Melissa Blaber all returning from last year, the senior-heavy class presents valuable learning opportunities for younger athletes. However, the group knows they “still have work to do,” says Senior captain, Moloney; “Gymnastics is a tough sport, and after four years of practice, there are still so many challenges and skills to improve on. The more practice, the better!” States Moloney.

Junior Katie Weiss said “Having the seniors here is very helpful… they help me perfect new skills and give me tips to make my tricks look better.”

Also, She would also go on to add “…They are not only helpful, they make gymnastics overall more fun.”