4-day school week in Colorado

Tyler Meeks, News Writer

As the 2018 school year begins, school district 27J of Colorado adapted a new 4-day school week, where students have only been attending classes on Tuesday through Friday. The new schedule rearrangement was primarily designed to give teachers time off to plan and coordinate their lessons, making learning more effective for all students.

On Mondays, when school is not in session, the district offers childcare for only $30, and teachers are expected to attend work on one monday per month, using this time to prepare for upcoming lessons and to coordinate with their co-workers. “The new schedule appeals to teachers because their professional development is built into their day,” says Tracy Rudnick, the public information officer of 27J (ABC News).

Another large impact of the new change will be the amount of money saved by the school district. The Denver Metropolitan area, serving nearly 18,000 students, will save on transportation costs and district-wide utilities. Superintendent Chris Fiedler estimated that running fewer school busses alone will save the district over $700,000 (NPR).

Compared to school districts who have not used the 4-day school week system, students in Colorado report that they have overall less stress, have more time to focus on extracurricular activities and work, and report overall levels of happiness (Fox News).

However, there is minor controversy when it comes to the new system. As most parents work on Mondays, it becomes their responsibility to either find child-care or pay the $30 per day fee that the school charges. As a result, many parents have become annoyed with this new proposition.

Some parents, though, support the new system and believe the time the teachers get to dedicate to lesson plans are advantageous to their children. They think that teachers having built-in time to plan out lessons makes the education system more organized, and more effective overall for their children.

Above all, this new change to the traditional school system seems promising, and provides many benefits to teachers and students alike.