Matt Lauer fired for Sexual Misconduct

Evan Kollias, Writer

On November 29, 2017, the world woke up to the shocker of Matt Lauer
being fired from “Today” on NBC. Lauer was fired for sexual allegations against several women. Lauer who hosted “Today” from 1997 to 2017, did not only host the “Today” show as he was famous for also hosting the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade as well as both Summer and Winter Olympics.
The first accusation came out on Monday, December 27, and was made by an anonymous colleague of Lauer. Executives at NBC stated, “Dear colleagues, on Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer.” Apparently, this behavior has been happening ever since the 2014 Winter Olympics with this certain colleague.
Due to the events, NBC representatives were called to a meeting with the victim and her lawyer, Ari Wilkenfeld, to discuss the crimes that had occurred between Lauer and the victim. Wilkenfeld praised the victim, who is not named, to come out and deliver the news. Therefore, NBC reacted quickly with this news and terminated Lauer.
After the report came out, two more women accused Lauer of sexual misconduct. One of these two females, who was a producer of the show, explained how Lauer would force her to have sexual contact in his office. A quote from New York Times stated, “One complaint came from a former employee who said Mr. Lauer had summoned her to his office in 2001, locked the door and sexually assaulted her.”
Apparently, Lauer harassed her shortly after she started working there in the late 1990’s, and the woman claimed that Lauer had sat next to her very closely in a car ride while they were working on a project together. Later while in his office, he made sexual moves. The woman reported to The New York Times, “Mr. Lauer sat uncomfortably close to her in the car. she recalled that when she moved away, he said, “You’re no fun.”
Lauer was a fan favorite who many people loved. As a result, many people are in complete shock about this news. But many co-workers of Lauer are not.