Stressful, standardized tests

Cassidy Shirley, Journalism Student

Standardized testing is inevitable in the competitive world people live in today. Students ranging from elementary school to their last years of high school are forced to take a multitude of standardized tests to determine how “smart” they are. While standardized tests are considered to be a weight on student’s shoulders, they are required to take them. All in all, the  key to performing well on these rigorous tests is compiling a list of strategies that prepare individuals to do the best they can.

While standardized tests may look scary and cause students to feel anxious about the multiple choice questions and essays that await them, there is no need to crack under the pressure. Most children stress out about testing, but in reality, a packet of paper, a pencil and a ticking clock is what frightens them. There is no reason to be intimidated while taking a standardized test.

Before taking an upcoming test, there are many things test-takers can do to prepare for their exams. Dower, a writer from Family Education, emphasizes for students to “Make a schedule for what and when to study.” This allows students to lay out what they already know and what they need to work on before their exam.

Witbourne, a psychologist from Psychologist Today, explains, “Cramming doesn’t work.” The night before should be used for a quick review of material.

Witbourne also explains, “Test-takers must get to bed early.” Getting to bed at a reasonable time give brains and bodies time to recover and prepare for the next day’s test.

According to Teacher Vision, on the morning of the test, “It is essential to eat breakfast.” Eating a nutritious meal like eggs and toast provides test-takers with the energy to do their test by waking them up.

In addition to preparing for tests ahead of time, there are things students can do during the test to set themselves up for success. While taking the test, Witbourne suggests that a student should, “Really read the question and figure out what you’re being asked.” While on the surface, a question may seem extremely easy, make sure to read and answer the question that is actually being asked.

One other piece of advice by Teacher Vision is to “Solve the problem before looking at the choices on the test.” If students can answer the question without having to look at the choices, it is a safe assumption that they are correct.

When a test-taker is totally unsure of an answer, according to Teacher Vision, the first thing to do is “Eliminate the choices that are definitely incorrect.” This will give students a better chance at guessing the correct answer.

Lastly, whether a student is taking the multiple choice portion or the essay portion of the test, Dower explains, “It is essential for students to keep track of their time.” By keeping track of their time, students have a greater potential of scoring higher on their tests.

Taking standardized tests can be very overwhelming for anyone, but the key to mastering the stress of standardized tests is finding strategies that help students perform their best.