Where the Bears need to improve

Back to Article
Back to Article

Where the Bears need to improve

CHICAGO, IL - AUGUST 10:  Members of the Chicago Bears articipate in warm-ups before a preseason game against the Denver Broncos at Soldier Field on August 10, 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

CHICAGO, IL - AUGUST 10: Members of the Chicago Bears articipate in warm-ups before a preseason game against the Denver Broncos at Soldier Field on August 10, 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Eric Arnold, Journalism Student

The Bears’ 2017 season has been an interesting one to say the least. The Bears have had star rookies start to play and a cycle of quarterbacks halfway through the season. The Bears, 3-8 as of November 26, will still prove there will be room for improvement as the NFL approaches week eleven.

Though the quarterback issue still remains, the lack of skilled wide receivers is staggering. In the past few years, the Bears have lost stars like Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Cameron Meredith to injuries and overall team frustrations. This leaves a huge hole in the receiving core and the Bears need to focus on filling this hole any way they can. The Bears have already made an attempt at this by signing wide receiver Dontrelle Inman, but one receiver just will not make the cut. The Bears need to look forward fast and make plans to acquire new players soon. Even though the trade deadline has passed, free agents and draft picks should be what the Bears are aiming for at this point. Mainly because looking forward, Mitchell Trubisky needs some weapons to use otherwise he is just going to be known for handing the ball off to Jordan Heyward.

As for the defensive side of the Bears, it is not as bad as anticipated. The Bears defense can do all they can, but they have almost no time to catch their breath because their offense will not give them much time. This will lead to tired players and overall sloppy play. However, not all the blame can be put of the offense, though as the Bears’ secondary is not as good as it could be. Again, like the offense, the Bears secondary is really lacking what they had a while ago. With players being cycled out yearly, there is no guarantee that any of the current players will be on the team next year, not to mention that the majority of the secondary does not have much veteran leadership.

So the addition of older players alone could be the key to teaching younger players how to adapt and change during a game when playing against an opposing team’s offense. But again, the addition of a well spent draft pick could not hurt and hopefully would set the Bears secondary up for success in the future.

Overall, some work needs to be done for the Bears. The addition of wide receivers would definitely give rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky some more versatile weapons. In turn, more successful drives on the offense will give the defense more time to strategize and rest, which, of course, will lead to a more successful defense, especially if an improvement is made in the secondary. In short, the Bears could benefit from some work on both sides of the ball, and if they play their cards right, they might have some successful years to come.