Over 400 dollars raised for welfare clinic

Sabine Kempfe, Editor-In-Chief

The National Honor Society held its annual car wash outside the tower on August 26, 2017. Family members and students lined up to have their cars soaked, rinsed and buffed by NHS members, for only five dollars.

The car wash benefitted the Infant Welfare Clinic. This company has worked to assure the health and well-being of children by offering medical support and resources for any and all minors ranging from infancy to age 18. All of the proceeds raised from the car wash were donated to the Infant Welfare Clinic, totaling up to over 400 dollars.

National Honor Society is an organization that recognizes and rewards outstanding high school students for their hard work and good behavior. Not only do students have to demonstrate above average ability in their scholarship, but they have to show strengths in service, leadership and character as well. In order to join NHS, students must be nominated to apply their junior year, and then inducted before the start of their senior year. NHS requires students to maintain a 4.3 accumulative GPA and participate in 15 hours of community service before the year ends.

Glenbard South senior and NHS member Salim Aboufariss volunteered at the car wash. “I would say it was a fulfilling experience,” said Aboufariss. “It was pretty fun to do and we had a great turnout.”

About the Contributors
Sabine Kempfe, Editor-In-Chief

Sabine is a senior at Glenbard South and the co-editor-in-chief of The Independent. She is also the editor for the Nation section, and the editor for the weekly video announcements. In addition to her work on the newspaper staff, Sabine is involved in Students 4 Students and NHS. She is one of the two representatives for Quill And Scroll at Glenbard South. Outside of school, Sabine likes to draw and paint.

Noah Brewer, Photographer

Noah is a junior at Glenbard South and a photographer for The Independent. Additionally, Noah is involved in the music department, specifically the symphonic and jazz bands. In his free-time, Noah enjoys making art and playing the piano.