King of the Court

Sophomore state qualifier Alex Bergendorf and Coach Conrad proudly display their new sweatshirts. (Photo by Tim Carlson)

Greg Kozlick, Sports Editor

[Updated 5/31/17]

For the first time in ten years, the boys tennis team finally has a player that will represent them at state. That player is sophomore singles player Alex Bergendorf.

Members of the boys’ tennis team give sophomore Alex Bergendorf a send off before the state tennis tournament. Left to right: Josh Trimarco (9), Sam Loversky (9), Bart Wlodarz (9), Nick Drinane (9), Omar Qurram (9), Roy Miao (12), Alex Bergendorf (10), Cooper Reif (11), Adam Lange (12), Coach Conrad, Greg Kozlick (11), Joe Keane (11). (Photo by Tim Carlson)

Bergendorf has had a clean season, taking minimal losses at first singles. He also had the most “bagels,” that is winning sets or matches without losing a single game. Along with a spectacular and near perfect regular season, Bergendorf walked away from the MSC Blue Division conference with a victory. He defeated Wheaton Academy’s first singles player Hilson, losing only 5 games in a 6-1 6-4 victory. Bergendorf also cruised through sectionals, winning both matches on Friday and then losing a tight match on Saturday. His runner up position following an excellent performance was more than enough to qualify him for state.

On Thursday, Alex Bergendorf will be headed to Hersey High School to compete for a state title. At the seeding meeting, Bergendorf drew Marion, so that will be the first school he will go head to head against. The Raider tennis team will anxiously await the results of the match tomorrow and to hear of his success.

On Thursday, Bergendorf faced Mike Dowling from Marian, winning his match 6-1 6-1, losing his second match against Victor Spolidorio from Dunlap 1-6 1-6, and winning his 2nd round consolation match 6-1 6-0 against Noah Griffith from Rochelle.

On Friday, Bergendorf defeated  3rd round consolation opponent Stephen Ferkol (Peoria Christian) 6-0 6-2 and lost to Carlos Gutierrez (Fenwick) in a fourth round consolation match 0-6, 6-0, and then 5-10 in the tiebreak to end his tournament.

(Courtesy IHSA)