Forensics season underway

Gabi Pierotti, Writer

The forensics team, more commonly referred to as the “Speech Team,” has been an integral part of Glenbard South’s winter activities for years.

Senior Maggie Micklo and junior Sam Hume lead the team of twelve students, holding three meetings per week. At these practices, members perform their speeches for their teammates and receive constructive input and guidance on how to progress.

All of this preparation leads up to competition season, beginning in December and continuing through February. Almost every Saturday, the team attends tournaments at various schools in the area, sometimes lasting up to eight hours. Participants compete in twelve different events, from original composition pieces written by the students themselves, to personal interpretations on pre-existing works such as poems and stories.

For the past two years, Micklo has competed in both Poetry and Prose events. “I love putting together my pieces and performing,” she said. “In the end, I am usually so proud of what I am presenting the judges. It’s an incredibly rewarding experience!”

Competing in both Poetry and Humorous Interpretation, freshman Catherine Andres “looks forward to improving her abilities across a wide spectrum this winter.” Performing holds a special place in the hearts of each team member, especially Andres, whose favorite aspect of the process is “becoming someone else and being able to tell their story.”

The accomplishments of the forensics team often go unnoticed by the majority of the student body but certainly not for lack of passion or skill of its members. The team is not only incredibly dedicated to its work but finds consistent enjoyment in each early morning bus ride to tournaments, Friday meetings in room 306 and reaction from the crowd as they recite the pieces they work so hard on.

Contact Micklo, Hume, Mr. Berner or Mr. Nussbaum with questions or inquiries regarding the team.