History of Kwanza

History of Kwanza

Allie Sims, Writer

With the holiday season in full swing, many American’s are looking forward to the joys of snow, holiday lights and Christmas. However, a less known holiday is also celebrated within the month of December, Kwanzaa.

Dr. Maulana Karenga, a black studies professors at California State University created Kwanzaa in 1966.  Dr. Karenga founded Kwanzaa as a celebration of African-American heritage.  There are seven principles and seven symbols that are associated and celebrated with each day of Kwanzaa.

Additionally, Kwanzaa is a word derived from Swahili, meaning “first fruits.” It was Dr. Karenga’s hope to incorporate different types of harvest festivals traditions from the Ashanti and Zulu tribes into Kwanzaa. While the traditions surrounding Kwanzaa are rooted deeply in African culture, each family celebrates in a unique way.

Typically the celebration of Kwanzaa lasts for seven days, starting on December 26th and finishing on January 1st. It also entails a Kinara, or candleholder, seven candles, seven African principles and seven African symbols. Each night a new candle is lit and placed in the Kinara, and a new principle and symbol is discussed in detail. There is also traditional music and dance followed by traditional-style food. On December 31 a large feast, or Karamu, is prepared and eaten as a family.

Moreover, the seven symbols include a decorative mat, corn, a candle holder, seven candles, communal cup, gift and a black, red and green flag. The seven symbols are as follows: unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity and faith. All of these elements are interwoven into each family’s celebration of Kwanzaa.

The celebration of such a rich culture is jam packed into a seven day event. Families use Kwanzaa as an opportunity to teach the younger generations about their culture and as a way for everyone, no matter his or her age to reconnect with their roots. It is a much less commercialized holiday truly centered around the family.