Equality for genders at Glenbard South

Sabine Kempfe, Nation Editor

If you feel strongly about equality and stereotyping issues that are controversial in today’s society or if you just are looking for an environment to express your opinions freely, Gender Equality Club is the perfect place for you.

Gender Equality, run by seniors Maggie Micklo and Gabi Pierotti, is a club in which students gather every two weeks to discuss the controversies revolving around gender, feminism and the stereotypes that have developed along with those issues. Additionally, the club hosts a lot of discussions where students can voice their thoughts or simply listen to their peers’ ideas to strengthen the school’s community and help other students and staff understand the importance of feminism and gender equality.

A variety of students have already joined, including both under and upperclassmen boys and girls.  The club also brings in speakers, hosts documentary screenings and holds an event called “parent night,” where parents of students involved can come in to express their views. Micklo is especially proud of the atmosphere that she and Pierotti have created for their club. “The environment of our club is so accepting,” she stated. “We listen to all ideas, and I think that most people feel comfortable sharing things that they usually would not. I think we are also a very casual club.”

The senior leaders are excited for more Raiders to join their fast growing club. “Gender equality is for everyone!” said Micklo. “Come stop by! We would love to have you. Every new idea only adds to the value of our club.”

If you are interested in joining Gender Equality Club, it meets in room 302 every other Wednesday from 2:45 to 4:00, though you are welcome to stay as long as you please.

If you have any questions regarding the club, contact Micklo, Pierotti or Mrs. Hamann via First Class.