Feeling the Bern?

Peter Theodore, Writer

Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders is racing against Hillary Clinton to become the Democratic party’s representative for the Presidential nomination in the upcoming 2016 election.

The race started off with a close fight in Iowa, and neither candidate has been able to take a winning lead in the race for delegates so far.

Younger people have gravitated towards “feeling the Bern” while older people have sided with Clinton. That support helped Sanders become a folk hero of the younger generation with popular shows and musicians, including Neil Young and Vampire Weekend, endorsing him for President. Bernie’s plans to cut college costs and lower the income gap are also main factors in his support from young people. “As President, I will: make tuition free at public colleges and universities, lower student loan interest rates for current and future borrowers, ensure all children have access to a quality education by fighting to ensure equal access to educational resources and make childcare and pre-K universal and affordable,” Sanders stated.

Even though Sanders has garnered support from much of America’s youth, many Democrats have gone against Sanders because he is not the typical Democratic nominee, though. He openly criticizes members from both parties. “The kind of criticism we’ve heard from Sen. Sanders about our president, I expect from Republicans, I do not expect from someone running for the Democratic nomination to succeed President Obama,” commented Hillary Clinton.

As of April 24, Clinton is ahead of Sanders, 1,944 delegates to 1,192 delegates. Clinton is dominating with 516 superdelegates while Sanders has 39.  Those superdelegates have created some controversy with people saying that the Democratic party is biased and wants Clinton to win the nomination. If you take out those superdelegates, you can see that the race for pledged delegates is much closer with Sanders holding 1,153 and Clinton with 1,428.

Even though Clinton seems like the clear favorite for the Democratic nomination, Sanders has refused to drop out of the race.