Sweeney fights her way to the championship

Kasia Szot, Nation Writer

Children are unable to sit still because they want to be in constant motion. One way to let out all of their extra energy is by signing them up for Taekwondo. Many of them will be fascinated that they will get to learn a sport in which they would be able to kick and punch different objects.

Fifteen years ago, this was Kaitlyn Sweeney, a current junior at Glenbard South. She has been practicing Taekwondo since she was three and has been in love with it ever since her first practice. Sweeney has encouraged people, no matter what their age, to take part in martial arts.
Many people confuse Taekwondo with karate, but Taekwondo is not karate. It is a Korean martial art form including different aspects that come from karate, but overall, the two sports are very different. One thing they have in common is that they have different belt ranks, which range from white which is beginner all to black which is mastery.

Sweeney, a proud fourth degree black belt, recently competed in the United States international tournament, in Reno Nevada. Out of a group of 40-50 girls, all with girls her age, Sweeney made it to the top eight. When asked what she enjoyed most about this sport, she could not answer the question. “There’s not one specific thing about it that I love the most,” said Sweeney. “I love it all. Everyone should do Taekwondo, it helps improve coordination, flexibility, strength and confidence.”

Sweeney hopes to continue practicing Taekwondo for many years to come. Seeing that Taekwondo is not only a sport, but also helps improve self esteem, is yet another reason students should sign up.