Effective studying using iPads

Effective studying using iPads

Amanda Herrmann, Cutting Edge Editor

There are many effective tools to help one study. One of the most popular apps students use to study is Quizlet.

Firstly, a user create sets of flashcards. Then the user studies the cards in a variety of ways from using them as traditional flashcards, to matching the cards, to having the ability to “Learn” them.  

The matching option randomly chooses an assortment of terms with their definition, challenging the user to match the two as quickly as possible. Whereas the “Learn” option gives the user the definition, he then must type the definition, moving the word from “unknown” to “learned.” After correctly answering all the terms in the “unknown” category, the user is then quizzed on the “learned” category. After, correctly answering those terms, the terms are moved into the “mastered” category.

Therefore, using the “learn” category is an extremely effective way to study as it ensures that the user actually knows the term–by making him answer it correctly twice, rather than guessing once. The Learn option is also beneficial for students who need to study spellings of words since the app marks the incorrect answer if spelled wrong but allows the user the option to override it if accidentally typed incorrectly.

Another key feature of Quizlet is the ability to star frequently missed words and then only study those words. Additionally, there is the feature to hear the spoken words which is especially useful if the user is studying for a foreign language.

Whether studying from an iPad or computer, Quizlet  is a very effective tool for learning vocabulary.

A sample of the list of words a user can create.
What may appear after a round of "Learn."
What may appear after a round of “Learn.”
Example of what a "matching" game may look like
Example of what a “matching” game may look like.