Always travel with Companion

Always travel with Companion

Kaitlin Clark, Editor-in-Chief

A free smartphone app dedicated to personal safety: Companion. Five University of Michigan students created Companion to help students travel alone without fear of being mugged, kidnapped or just lost. Particularly, this app will be beneficial to worried parents and fearful students alike.

The user will first set a starting point and destination for his journey, then chose Companion from his phone contact list to accompany him on his journey. The app sends a text message to each identified Companion with a link to a digital map that will allow him to see the user walking towards their destination.

The app also will detect changes in the phone’s environment, like sudden movements or running, and asks the user if he is okay. If the user does not respond within 15 seconds, the app projects loud noises to scare off attackers and also gives the user the option of calling the police. Immediately after, contacts are notified as well and are given the option of calling the police or checking to see if the user is okay.

Once the user has reached his/her destination, the contacts are sent another text message.

In context, the Companion app eliminates some of the apprehension associated with  traveling alone in an unknown area. It provides the routing efficiency of Google Maps and the instant connection of a social network in an easy step-by-step process. However, out of context, the Companion app allows access to valuable information like location and phone number. Since, Companion is a relatively new app, it lacks established restrictions on data sharing. Of course, these inquiries could be fixed in the coming months as the app gains popularity. Still, when used correctly, the app can provide a way for anyone to travel alone without ever being alone.

Get the Companion app by clicking here. http://www.companionapp.io/ Preview