Jump-start fitness

Courtesy of Lauren Eber

Hadiya Afzal, Writer for Nation

The Health and Wellness club, which had modeled of the district wellness committee, is sponsored by Christa Gifford. Glenbard South received a $1250 grant this year from Action for Healthy Kids who has helped with the implementation of those goals as well.

The goal of this club has been to educate students and staff about healthy lifestyles through fun events. Gifford stated, “We completed a survey from the Action for Healthy Kids, created a survey for out student body to gather information, we made posters for our Healthy Breakfast promotion coming up and we will be planning events such as the plank challenge.”

Gifford has helped students log into the Fuel Up To Play 60 website to earn points toward what has been called being a student ambassador for wellness. That status has come with perks associated with the NFL, which had included amazing leadership training opportunities.

Different events have been planned for this year, such as the Healthy Breakfast promotion and the Plank Challenge in February.

Also, the Health and Wellness Committee was responsible for the smoothies served in the morning and the Healthy Cooking Challenge in the cafeteria in December. Currently, the committee has been working on discussing ways to work with the foodservice provider to improve the food served at Glenbard South.

Gifford mentioned that the wellness committee will better Glenbard South by working toward educating students and staff about healthy lifestyles, and creating fun events.