Shooting down school safety

Jordan Hulseberg, Editor-in-Chief

Glenbard South High School does everything in its power to keep students safe. Truthfully so, Glenbard South has done an excellent job.

This being said, we will never fully eradicate the presence of violence within our schools. Nor will we remove the possibility of absolute terror within schools.

In point of fact, we, at Glenbard South, have nearly the same student body population as well as the same socioeconomic background as Columbine High School in Colorado. This is a haunting reminder that school shootings can happen in any location as history shows that Columbine was the scene of a dramatic shooting in 1999.

However, with the efforts of the school, such as the installation of a new vestibule at the main entrance, new locking doors, increased camera presence and the hiring of new security guards, Glenbard South is nearly completely safeguarded against violence.

According to CNN, the moment a shooter enters a school, it is game over. Yet, with constant drills and procedures, students’ and staff’s life expectancy can increase exponentially even despite a shooter entering the building.

There is a great deal that can be done to protect students in terms of battling people with people. Furthermore, with trained Andy Frain security guards and one sheriff, the school is a flexible fortress as human beings, not protocol or mechanics are the best defense against a possible threat as human beings are able to think critically and independently.

Still, the best way to protect the school is to stop shooters before they enter the building. This means that students must refrain from opening doors for strangers, faculty must halt leaving doors unlocked and security guards must be on the top of their game as always in order to keep students safe.

Just because we are safe here does not mean that tragedy will not strike. Still, we need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. As always, it is better to be safe than sorry.