District-wide summer reading

District-wide summer reading

Laurel Bacote, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

During the summer, one likely will have his or her mind set on relaxation rather than increasing intelligence. To encourage summer reading and promote healthy families though, the Glenbard Parent Series will encourage students and parents to attend its events and participate in its annual Summer Family Read.

Founded in 1990, the Glenbard Parent Series, also known as GPS, was created to be a resource for parents and students to navigate through the issues and opportunities that come along with parenting and being a teenage student. GPS has brought in and welcomed knowledgeable speakers who have presented stimulating talks that have offered real world tips that have had the ability to change one’s approach to parenting teens and how to improve students’ social and emotional health

Now “a well-oiled machine,” as Glenbard Student and Community Projects Coordinator Gilda Ross has put it, the Glenbard Parent Series will be coordinating its Summer Family Read for the third year in a row. This summer, the book that was selected for the read will be The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. This nonfiction book tells of how soon after science had the means to harvest cells in 1951, poor black tobacco farmer Henrietta Lacks died of cervical cancer, and her cells were harvested without her consent. Her cells, “HeLa” cells, were discovered to be unusual as they would not die. Useful for multiple kinds for research, the cells were used by pharmaceutical companies and have made millions as they have been used to discover cures, for gene mapping and cancer and infertility treatment. All the while, Lacks’ own family has been struggling to get health care.

This best selling book was not just chosen because it has been the type of book that the reader will not want to put down, but the classroom discussions that could be had will be exciting and timely, covering issues of genetics, ethics and inequality. At the end of the summer, author Rebecca Skloot will be at Glenbard West on Thursday, August 25, 2016, at 7 p.m., to discuss her book with the public. All have been invited to attend.

The Glenbard Parent Series has continued to grow in its success, aiming to motivate students and their parents and help transform them into people who are their best selves. Whether one is looking for inspiration or merely interested in taking advantage of the free resource at hand, GPS is a great way to for students’ families to strengthen their intellect and their mental health.