From diapers to dorm rooms

Tony Raff, Writer

It is that time of year again. High school seniors are just dying to get away from their boring lives and go off to college. At 18 years old, it is time for these kids to grow up and become self-reliant. However, some soon-to-be freshmen do not know how many responsibilities lay ahead of them.

In high school, life was easy. One could not sleep through his alarm because mom would make sure he made it to school on time. There was a bus or a car waiting to take one to school and back home everyday as well. When he got home, one had his own bedroom to relax in. But one’s parents would make sure he got all of his homework done by the end of the night. And dinner was always right there, ready to eat. Basically, all one had to do was be in the right place at the right time in high school life.

But college life will be much different. Most professors do not take attendance, so if a student sleeps through class, that student will miss class. And one should not expect the professors to take time out of their lectures to help one catch up; one will have to do that on his own time. While most classes are located relatively close to each other on a college campus, it is still up to the individual to know where to go and when to be there. And what happens when one gets back to his dorm? One does whatever he wants to do as there are no parents to make sure one does the responsible thing. This is where the real responsibility comes in. It is 100% up to each person how much one studies and does work for classes.

College may seem like a four-year party with no parents, but that is not all that it is. One will have plenty of free time to spend how he wants, but it is his  responsibility to make it to class on time and to do school work too. It really will not be that hard. One will have direct control over one’s life in college, and it will up to the individual to be responsible with it.